60. Time flies

We've carried on putting all our efforts into the garden as we are determined to grow as much as possible. I've been really pleased with the squash seeds, we're trying a couple of new varieties that I bought but all the rest have been seeds that I've saved. While down in the Midlands last year I had a couple of organic veg boxes with various squashes which I saved the seeds from and nearly all have come up which is amazing. They have all been potted on and this morning I planted 3 in the main beds in the polytunnel and a couple of courgettes. I'll plant some outdoors in the veg patch when they're a bit bigger. 
 The tomato plants are doing OK, we moved them into the polytunnel a bit too early and it's taken them a while to get over the shock. But some have flowers on them so hopefully they'll do well.
 The kale seedlings are growing stronger and will be put out soon. I've finally got round to pulling the old ones out of the veg patch, they were enormous and it took some strength. They've been providing us with kale for a couple of years now but finally went to seed. We left them for a bit because the bees and butterflies love the flowers. Rich has planted some parsnips and brussels which are all growing so the polytunnel is filling up fast which is why we're now trying to concentrate on getting as much as we can outside. My cauliflowers have been planted and put under netting in the veg patch and I'm in the process of moving the kohlrabi.
 The sweet peas which I sowed last year are finally big enough to go outside so I've put most of them in my front garden. I'm just hoping the deer don't find them.
Mrs Blackbird has one baby which is now out the nest and following her round begging for food. She's cleverly discovered that we're living in the cabin now and is regularly on the decking waiting to be fed. She also loves it when we're planting veg, she jumps in the holes you dig to check for worms.
For my birthday, my sons bought me an outside table and chairs which will go on the decking just outside the cabin when it's nice enough to eat outside. Because it folds down really easily we've brought it inside to use, it's wonderful to be able to sit at a table again for meals.
We're hoping that once we've got all the veg planted and the weeding done etc we can make a start on the house. Although we're also trying to get wood put away for the winter and the cabin still isn't quite finished. One day!!!

Comments