72. An abundance of snow

After a few snow showers leaving only a slight covering we've had lots more. It came down quite heavily yesterday and then significantly overnight. It was quite wondrous to wake up to even though the water was frozen and it was a bit of a shock going outside to the toilet at first light.
Rich only returned at the beginning of the week from visiting family. He used our boat to go out on and left it over the Loch while he was away. On returning he decided to come back on the postboat as the wind was northerly making it very cold and quite rough on the sea. The plan was that once the weather improved a bit he'd catch the postboat back over to empty the car and fetch our boat.
 Something strange happened though, a kind neighbour noticed a bright red object over the other side of the Loch at the top of the jetty which turned out was our boat upside down. We managed to get over, once again thanks to the kindness of neighbours and got a hand turning it the right way up. Miraculously there doesn't seem to be too much damage. The engine casing is quite scratched but not shattered as we'd feared. We got a tow back with our boat and have brought the engine up home for Rich to check over. We're in no rush to go out so it can wait until the weather improves.
I quite enjoyed my time here by myself with everyone away. I made myself a long list of things to do but then decided to paint one of the walls in the cabin which took me about 3 days!! I must be getting old, used to do a whole room in a day when I was younger although I didn't splash it all over the place as I've been known to do. I took my time and did it carefully. I'm glad I did it as I love the colour and think it feels more homely.  I was supposed to be weeding the veg patch but the ground was frozen solid so wouldn't have been able to anyway
We're getting through wood at an alarming rate but still have trees down in the wood to chop so can hopefully get a good load put away again. Everything is on hold a bit as we wait for the weather to improve. Then it'll be full steam ahead getting the tomato, sweet pea and other early seeds started. And we've still high hopes for much progress on the house this year, it's got to be done and we need to get on with it. 

Comments

Post a Comment