76. Feels like Autumn

We've had a week of high winds and rain. Tabby has been particularly unsettled by it. Since her run in with a fox/pine marten she's very wary about going out in the dark when it's windy so it's been a fun week with us sleeping with the door open most of the night. There's a saying that cats have staff not owners, it's definitely true with tabby but at 18 years of age we're not going to change her so best to just persevere I suppose. 
Perseverance is a word that's been on my mind lately. My eldest and middle son plus grandson came to stay along with Richards eldest daughter so quite a full house particularly as we haven't really got one!! But it was lovely seeing everyone and we managed. Richards daughter slept in the barn on the sleeping shelf, eldest son slept at my sisters, middle son with grandson plus dog stayed in the house. We put up the 2 single beds in there along with a couple of tables and reconnected the gas cooker so I could cook in there and we could have meals together. It also meant tabby didn't meet the dog as she's not very welcoming unfortunately.

Anyway, back to perseverance. My sons wanted to climb Beinn Ghobhlach, the mountain on Scoraig which lies between Loch Broom and Little Loch Broom. It's not a particularly big one, apparently it's only a Graham not a Munro. I thought it would be lovely to make it a family event so we all went up. Since meeting Rich I've climbed a few mountains, something I'd never have done in my previous life but they definitely don't get easier and I also realised it's 10 years since we last did one. So 10 years older and probably a bit heavier I did it. It was hard, I held everyone up ( they were very kind about it) At one point going up I was crawling and I developed a new technique of sliding on my behind to get down. If you climb all the Grahams apparently that makes you a Grahamist but that's not going to happen anytime soon. But we all did it and my Grandson was amazing, he didn't complain once, unlike me!

Once everyone had left we dismantled the beds and got on with working on the house again. The ceiling joists which go into the stone walls are all in place and Rich has started putting the framework up for the studded walls. It's been hard work as the building is nowhere near straight but progress is being made and it finally feels like we're getting somewhere. 
Our vegetable growing has been disappointing this year. Tomatoes haven't done as well and we've not got nearly as many squashes as last year. We've had a decent number of courgettes but that's only because we've more plants than usual. I have managed to make a few soups to freeze and the fava beans have been plentiful so have managed to freeze a few bags. Potatoes onions and garlic have done well so all is not lost. It's hard to give the garden the time it needs and also work on the house. 
The nights are now drawing in and it looks like summer has really passed us by this year. We don't seem to have had much decent weather at all. I love Autumn though so am looking forward to seeing the leaves changing colours and hopefully a good show of fly agaric toadstools in the wood. We also need to finish filling the wood stores before winter, so much to do but we love it. 

Comments