71. Hibernation


Days are dark and very short. I'm grateful for this as I feel I'd like to hibernate. After a really cold spell it turned wet, grey and very windy. The high winds have felt relentless at times, it becomes a strain listening to it. It never seems so bad during the day but at night I find it more worrisome. I'd managed to book a click and collect from tesco Ullapool for the 21st but 70mph winds were forecast so we changed it to yesterday although had to go to Inverness as there were no slots left for Ullapool or Dundonnell. Rich went as I've succumbed to a cold/flu/covid like thing again. Luckily there was a postboat both ways so he didn't have to use our boat which made the day easier. So we now have a decent amount of food in for Christmas and the new year which is always reassuring. 
Earlier in the month I took some of my needle felted cards and decorations to the Christmas fayre at the community centre. I sold nearly all of them which felt good. It was strangely satisfying to have made things which people then buy and give you money for. I then decided to make cards for close friends and family so have probably spent the best part of a fortnight needle felting as it's quite time consuming. 
All done now though as is the Christmas shopping. My sister and her husband took a trip down to the Midlands so kindly delivered my presents to my sons etc which was good as this is the first year I've managed to get it done so early. 
After feeling quite horrendous I felt able today to take part in choosing our Christmas tree. We couldn't do it before today as it's been too windy. I think the one we chose is a bit big, I've just room to get between the settee and the bed. We had to push the settee back to make enough room for it but it does look beautiful. Although how we're going to seat 7 on Christmas day is yet to be arranged. 
This Christmas will be a strange one, the first without my mum. I think more than ever now I realise that it was my mum that made Christmas time so special for us particularly as children, I hope I've done the same for mine. So many memories which seem to come alive at this time of year and the sadness of knowing those times are now over. But we carry on and still find joy as my mum would have wanted. I shall drink a toast to her on Christmas day.
 I bought some coloured fairy lights to put round the window, they're the ones I remember from childhood. I left them on after we went to bed last night and as I lay there looking at the colours they brought back beautiful memories of Christmases gone by.
I wish you all a beautiful Christmas and a peaceful new year. ❣️

Comments