69. Hoping for rain

It's been a while since my last blog and I'm starting it much like my last one. We have once again just returned from a trip down to the Midlands visiting family. We were away just over a week so it's felt a bit of a whirlwind.

The couple of weeks before we went I had a difficult time with my back. It had got much better but then I hurt it again and it turned into the most painful and drawn out episode I've ever had with it. I was unable to do much at all apart from rest. Unfortunately (maybe!) this coincided with a big delivery of building materials, concrete blocks, wood and yet more sand and gravel. Luckily Rich had the help of his lovely daughter and  boyfriend, they worked really hard and managed to get much of it over on the boat and up to Ali Shornets. 
Rich has laid the foundations for a shed which will eventually hold tools but will firstly be used to store all the stuff out of the house, which needs to be emptied in order for us to work on it. Some of the blocks are for the walls, the first 3 rows were completed while I've been bedridden.
Eventually after much rest my back finally improved and we were able to travel to see friends and family. We arrived home yesterday rather worn out. I thought it was hot here but it was worse in the Midlands. Although we did have a wonderful surprise on reaching the jetty, all the remaining blocks and a good chunk of the sand and gravel had miraculously been brought over the Loch while we were away, a Father's day surprise for Rich. 
We've had very little rain here so we're having to be very careful how we use it. Watering the plants in the polytunnel is the top priority, baths and showers will have to wait.
The tomatoes, courgette and squashes have finally taken off and have grown lots while we've been away. It's lovely to see the polytunnel full again. The outside courgettes are still small and not really thriving because it's so dry. Hopefully soon we'll have some proper rain, the garden really needs it. I think this is the longest dry patch we've had since moving here. We haven't put the squashes outside yet, there doesn't seem much point. 
As we've now lots of building materials to start work on the house there's really no excuse not to start getting on with it!!! 


Comments

Post a Comment