28. The days are getting shorter.

Sunset is now before 4pm so the days are much shorter. Its also been colder over the past week, first thing I do after getting out of bed is light the fire. For the first time this morning I did think about central heating and missed it a bit. It's the having to get out of bed to light it instead of setting the timer and waking up to a warm room. Going outside to the toilet in the middle of the night is a bit of a shock also. But with the clear nights the stars and moon have been amazing. I love it when you can see the reflection of the moon on the loch. But when the wind is howling and it's pouring it down it's not quite as tempting!



I've been determined to get some wood stored for winter. When my boys visited at the beginning of the month they did the chopping of our recent delivery of logs. I've not dared do any until now in case I put my back out again. But today I've carefully chopped a few and sawn a load of the gorse we'd cut back. I'm trying to saw enough to fill a couple of bags each day to bring in and then do a bit extra to add to the woodstore. The pile is increasing slowly. My boys also helped with digging the pond we're creating in the croft. Rich has carried on with it despite still having problems after his tooth extraction 2 weeks ago!



Rich has continued burning the wood to create a charcoal effect for use on the cabin. He's doing it outside on calm days to stop him setting fire to the house again. We've managed to buy some second hand french doors which we're hoping to pick up next week depending on the weather. We've had gale force winds recently but it's supposed to be getting calmer. We've still got blocks and sand and gravel over the other side of the loch. We're going to try to catch high tide early tomorrow morning and do a couple of runs to fetch blocks. We really need to get on with it, they've been there months now.



It feels like we're working hard and not getting anywhere at the moment. We've both felt a bit down and overwhelmed by the amount of work there is to do. But it's our own doing, we chose to be here so we need to get it done and there's nowhere else I'd rather be and there's nowhere else like this so time to stop feeling sorry for ourselves. At least by the time we get a bathroom again we'll really appreciate it. So I'm off to bed early to ensure I'm bright eyed and bushy tailed and ready to set sail at high tide tomorrow morning to fetch concrete blocks.

Comments