18. Still trying to make a start!

Well, after being so motivated and energised as we entered the new year, not much has happened since. It got very wet again, alot of the land is standing in water. I'm hoping as we go into Spring we'll feel motivated to start work on the house although we are constrained by lack of funds, logistics of building materials and just not feeling like doing it.
We have got into the garden for short periods when it's not been too wet or windy. I managed to weed the small garden at the front which I'd previously cleared, there's lots of bulbs coming up. Rich turned the compost heap and is in the process of making another.
On our last trip to Inverness we bought a shredder and have been using it to shred some of the gorse I've cut down. Larger branches we've kept back to burn next year. We've also started clearing out the pond in the front garden.
Rich has had some wood delivered to make a woodstore, we did a couple of trips across the loch to fetch it while the water was calm. I've now perfected the art of stepping off the boat onto the jetty to tie it while Rich steers it in. As of yet I've not managed to fall in.
It's taken a couple of trips on the quad to get it here. Because the lengths of wood are very long they dangle out the trailer, in fact there's more hanging out the trailer than in it. We decided the best way to transport it was for me to sit on the back of the quad facing the trailer and hang on for dear life. As the track is extremely rough and rocky in places it wasn't exactly very comfortable. I tried sitting in the trailer on top of the wood which was slightly better but then had to go on the back of the quad after we stopped at our neighbours to pick up more of our logs.
It was hailing ice by this point and my gloves were wet through. Excitement on the way back though, my new mixing bowl had arrived in the post, the bottom dropped out of mine the other day so thought it was time for a new one.
Tomorrow it's exactly a year since we first came to Scoraig to view Ali Shornets. It's not moved on much since then but I like to think we have and the house will follow!! We shall wait and see.








Comments