11. Collecting dense concrete blocks

Today was calm so we got up at 6am to take our boat across to Badluarach to fetch some more of our delivery of building supplies. Rich had ordered a cement mixer and that was being delivered today so we were hoping to fetch that also although we'd no idea what time it was arriving. We got across and started moving the extremely heavy concrete blocks down the jetty. I was unsure how many I could manage on the trolley, Rich helpfully suggested I try 8 to start with. Hanging over the handles to lift it and not budging it at all I reduced the amount of blocks to 2, even that was difficult.  We managed to get 16 on the boat without sinking it although it was much lower than usual at the front. We headed back to Scoraig, continued our weight training getting the horrendously heavy blocks out the boat then headed back to do it again. We decided to have a drive to Gairloch to have a coffee before doing the next load in the hope we'd hear word of the cement mixer. Rich was trying to cheer me up so we had a piece of cake as well.
No word about the mixer so we headed back to do another load of blocks. The tide was coming back in at a fast rate so Rich untied the boat and we pulled it into the sea, I held onto the rope while Rich went on to the jetty to pull the boat round in order to load the blocks on. In the meantime the sea pulled the boat out then pushed it back more suddenly than I'd allowed for, knocking me backwards and forcing me to sit down which was lovely as even with waterproof trousers on there's only so much water they can keep out. I looked up to see Rich and a neighbour (who'd just arrived in his boat) looking down at me.
Squelching onto the jetty to join them the very kind neighbour passed the blocks to Rich in the boat. Loaded up once more we decided to call it a day as darkness was falling. Assuming the cement mixer wouldn't be arriving today we set off. After unloading the boat back on Scoraig and loading the quad Rich glanced across the loch to Badluarach to see a delivery van heading down towards the jetty so we got back in the boat!!

Comments